Friday, August 24, 2012

Conditional format to a drop down list item in spreadsheet

Conditional format to a drop down list item in spreadsheet

If you are wondering, how to conditionally format to a drop down list item in spreadsheet?
Then follow these steps to do it:

Step 1) Create a drop down list:

To create a drop down list, you have to click on Data at Menu Bar, and then click "Validation".
Look at the following screenshot:


In "Data validation", you need to select Criteria "Items from a list", and then you can either create list from range or you can enter list items. After that save it.
Look at the following screenshot:


For this example, I have entered items in the list as "Kishan,Rick,John,Adam", I have this validation in Cell A1.
Look at the following screenshot:



Step 2) Create Conditional Formatting:

To create Conditional Formatting, you have to click on Format at Menu Bar, and then click "Conditional formatting...".
Look at the following screenshot:



In "Conditional formatting", you need to select condition, in my example I have selected "Text contains" "Kishan", and then you can change the text color and backround color, in my example I have selected text color "RED" and background color "Light Blue". After that save it.
Look at the following screenshot:



Now you can see, I have selected Kishan in Cell A1, so it's text color will change to red and background color will change to light blue color.
Look at the following screenshot:


So this  was the "Step by Step tutorial of Conditional formatting to a drop down list item in spreadsheet". I hope it will help you.



I hope the above solution will help you, and if you need more help then please do comment below on this blog itself I will try to help you out.

If this blog post was helpful to you, and if you think you want to help me too and make my this blog survive then please donate here: http://igoogledrive.blogspot.com/2012/09/donate.html 

Thanks,
Kishan,


4 comments:

  1. How would you do it for the list of names, if let's say one of group of names is in one department and another group is in another department?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it possible to have the drop down "list" simply be background colors? I am trying to create an expense report wherein users enter amounts, but can choose a fill color from a drop down menu to color code their report.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You try to put the drop down list on another sheet then check the result what you do again.Now, how is it?

    ReplyDelete